Team Mentone had an absolutely incredible day at the Beachside Athletics Carnival on Monday 12th September at Sandringham Athletics Club. Our team of 53 athletes competed in 65 events and came first in 44 events, second in 14 events, and other finishes in 17 events. The incredible Mentone athletes also set 18 Beachside records on the day as well. In the overall grand tally, MGSC ended up finishing in 3rd place with Elwood College coming first and Glen Eira SC second. MGSC did however win the Junior, Inter and Senior Girls tallies and the overall Girls aggregate.
The individual records are as follows;
- Zoe C (Yr 9) lowered all five U14 records in the events she competed in. The 200m from 28.7 to 27.53, shot put from 10.16 to 10.38, long jump from 4.50 to 4.91, triple jump from 9.44 to 10.78, and 90m hurdles from 17.1 to 14.40
- Millie B (Yr 8) lowered the U14 1500m record to 5.19 from 5.34. Millie also beat the U14 800m record from 2.44 to 2.43
- Sophie B (Yr 7) cut 2 seconds off the U13 800m record to 2.34
- Kisarna B lowered the the U14 800m record further to 2.28 from 2.43. K.B also beat the U14 400m record from 1.10 to 1.02. As well as, incredibly, the U14 javelin event from 20.45m to 38.52m.
- Teiki W (Yr 9) lowered the U15 400m record from 1.11 to 1.04
- Grace S (Yr 12) also lowered the U18 400m record from 1.05 to 1.04
- Emily R (Yr 7) smashed the U13 shot put record from 9.52 to 10.77 and the discus from 24.43 to 28.57
- Bianca L (Yr 12) also set the U18 shot put record from 8.99 to 9.34
- Relays; U14 team beat the 55.4 record to run 53.43; and the U18 relay team lowered the record from 57.0 to 55.79
Star of the Day
Zoe C - Zoe competed in six events and set 6 records in the triple jump, long jump, shot put, 90m Hurdles, 200m and 4x100m. Zoe will be competing in the above events at Regionals. Congratulations Zoe.
Congratulations to all our athletes for competing and helping out on the day. MGSC will have 34 competitors going to Regionals on Thursday 6th October at Casey Fields. Program of events can be viewed via this link;
A big thank you to Miss Hannah Richards and Mr David Russell for their assistance on the day, as well as Ruby C, Mia T, Angel C, Olivia M, Sarah P, Emily W and all the other students who helped out at the finishing line. As always another thank you to the growing number of parents that come to watch and support their daughters and the school. It is great seeing so many of you at these events. Go Mentone!
On Thursday 8th September we had 6 students compete and win GOLD in the All Schools Knockouts Championships at Lakeside Stadium against private and public schools from all over Victoria. The 6 students competed in 7 different events, all getting points for the team. The rules are simple as the 6 students must compete in 7 events; 100m, 800m, 90m hurdles, shot put, javelin, long jump, 4x200m relay. With a maximum of two events per students they will get points based on placing and distance or time between each competitor.
With very windy weather at Lakeside Stadium our day started off with Zoe C (Yr 9) running 14.00 in the 90m hurdles to be in top spot, Kisarna B also came first in the javelin with a throw of 36meter, and Emily R (Yr 7) threw an incredible 11.62 in the shot put to also come first. It was then onto long jump with Zoe Cunningham who came third with 5.25m, Milly W (Yr 7) ran 13.60 and Teiki W (Yr 9) ran 13.90 in the 100m sprint, and Kisarna ran 2.27 and Sophie B (Yr 7) ran 2.32 in the 800m event. Lastly, was the 4x200m relay event, a test of power and endurance over four 200m runners - we came home in 3rd position by 2seconds. All the above results meant that we ended up with a score of 6802 points which was 600points better than 2nd.
The win means that the girls will be going to Nationals in Canberra in December, a truly remarkable achievement. Not only did we win gold but we had three students qualifying for Nationals in individual events. Kisarna - javelin, Emily - shot put, and Zoe - 90m hurdles.
Thank you to all the parents who came and supported their daughter on the day, and again special thank you to Erina Cunningham for help coordinating and registering the team on the day. Go Mentone!
Welcome to MGSC Sports. On this page you will find up to date results on all competitions within the sport and dance programs..